Museum of Transology

January 27, 2017 in uncategorised

ABOUT MY VISIT
Ahead of my Inclusive Teaching & Learning in Higher Education class I decided to take a visit to the Museum of Transology to discover more about people who have a gender identity or gender expression that differs from their assigned sex
The exhibition was beautifully created by E-J Scott, with artifacts ranging from breast-tissue from a mastectomy through to train tickets, an earring and t-shirts with gender-based slogans across them
I walked around the exhibition clockwise and noted that I could only see one visual representation of any POC which was a cover of G Scene Magazine featuring Trans Pride.  I googled G Scene and found it to be listed as a “Gay Magazine of Brighton & Hove”

PERSONAL REFLECTION & RELATION TO INCLUSIVITY
In terms of intersectionality, and as noted by a placard in the exhibition, Inclusivity: Supporting BAME Trans People report published by GIRES and compiled by Sabah Choudrey, “An intersectional approach recognises multiple identities exist in multiple combinations.. it means being proactive in learning more about people with intersecting identities from the people who face oppression associated with these identities.  It means understanding, respecting and celebrating the diversity of our communities”

I found this exhibition to be really important.. as far as I am aware, it is the only exhibition featuring trans-memorabilia curated on such a large scale, and the fact that it is free, accessible and accessible to students even more important because it means that inclusivity can spread amongst HE students, UAL and further afield

It allows an insight into a word other than your own, a people that perhaps one had a smaller understanding of prior to visiting and offers a wealth of primary sourced links back to the trans community as most decided not to withhold their names and are outspoken in an area that has for the most part held a great potential stigma

The exhibition raises questions surrounding identity, social marginalisation, and even visibility

ABOUT THE EXHIBITION:
The Museum of Transology is the largest and boldest display of trans artefacts and photographic portraiture ever displayed in the UK. This highly intimate exhibition will challenge the idea that gender is fixed, binary and biologically determined by exploring how the artefacts helped fashion self-shaped gender identities

The display will feature photography by Bharat Sikka and Sharon Kilgannon, My Genderation films by Fox Fisher and Lewis Hancox, Sexing the Transman and Mr Angel documentaries by adult film star Buck Angel, behind the scenes footage from Born Risky by Grayson Perry.
Collected and curated by E-J Scott, and made possible by those who donated their stories and personal objects.
Exhibition runs from 20 January – April 2017, entry is free.
#Transology
Opening hours
Monday – Friday: 10.00am – 6.00pm
Saturday: 12.00 noon – 4.00pm (term time only)
Sunday and Public Holidays: Closed

www.fashionspacegallery.com
Twitter | FashionSpaceLDN
Facebook | FashionSpaceGallery
Instagram | FashionSpacegallery

img_9169 img_9163  img_9164 img_9166img_9165 img_9166 img_9167 img_9168