Art, Design & Media: Higher Education in Context Lecture

January 18, 2017 in uncategorised

Lecture by Professor Susan Orr, Dean of Teaching & Enhancement,  18th January 

The idea of the ‘imposter’ – the imposter syndrome, a conversation that I’d previously had with my tutor Lucy, the person next to me was recently graduated and still felt like a student – the idea is to flip it  – being a recent graduate would surely be a bonus to be able to relate. The image below (from an unrelated to education article in the  New York Times) points to an interesting thought – Maybe our strengths are sometimes masked as weaknesses when we judge ourselves.

imgres-1

Image ref

The word polytechnic was around in the Nineteenth Century, has education become polymorphous in the 21st Century?

On a tech note, we used a shared Google Doc  – which was a great way of tapping into group thinking.

From group thinking on particular approaches to teaching and learning, one element struck me on the ownership of learning  – tutor’s role is that of a midwife.

Pedagogy of Ambiguity – We need to understand that there is ambiguity but students need to feel safe.

Education is a creative practice in itself.

Tripartite course team – that technicians are integral to course team  ‘the delivery team’.