TED TALK: Tasos Frantzolas: Everything you hear on film is a lie

November 10, 2016 in Inspiration

Quite interested in this talk, the creation of sound effect. It shows that our brains are conditioned to embrace the lies. We’re not looking for accuracy. Particularly he mentioned one of the author, Oscar Wilde, in “The Decay of Lying”, establishes the idea that all bad art comes from copying nature and being realistic; and all great art comes from lying and deceiving, and telling beautiful, untrue things.For example, when you watch a movie and you see a bird flapping its wings, they haven’t really recorded the bird. It sounds a lot more realistic if you record a sheet or shaking kitchen gloves. Another experiment is replacing the sound of rain with bacon frying.

‘I think what all these masters knew is that by hiding the source, you create a sense of mystery. This has been seen in cinema over and over, with Hitchcock, and Ridley Scott in “Alien.” Hearing a sound without knowing its source is going to create some sort of tension. Also, it can minimize certain visual restrictions that directors have and can show something that wasn’t there during filming. And if all this sounds a little theoretical, I wanted to play a little video.’

From the research, first I think that sound gives more space of imagination for us than visually, one can affect psychologically and evoke memories by the effect of sound, how it gives different emotion and perceive different perspective and how it changes in variety atmosphere. The richness information of sound delivers negotiated within a certain space/ time.

In my work,I visualise sound into a physical form to simulate the moment of experience and presence through material to create the sense of presence, raise the overlook, neglected sense.