Character Design

November 7, 2016 in uncategorised

60’s counter culture character

28/12/1216

This is the key frame test for Counter Culture march, I am animating it in a cut out style in adobe illustrator. when I am happy with the way the animation looks. I will export the layers to Photoshop and add the texture.

the shell came out wrongly when I exported the illustrator layer as flash frame to a swf file.  the final work will be exported differently hopefully the shell will come out ok when the time comes.

I know it will have been easier to just cut the body parts into section, add the cloth texture and taken the character to After Effect and animated it there but I think that if I do it that way the animation is going to look too much like a cut out style, I didn’t want it to look that way. I find that the animation looks more like a drawn animation when I do it this way.

See Animation exercise post for the finished walk cycle.

26/12/2016

middle_mandy7

This is the final look for the 20 years old Mandy, I have taken the opacity down to 76% for the texture, so it looks less blinding. I am going to take the middle break her body into parts, add the sign board and start animating.

I think I will do more research in to 60s protest before I start animating.

final-texture

This is my final look for all Mandy.

texture-and_none8 texture-and_none6 texture-and_none5 texture-and_none2 texture-and_none1

these are all the other trial, I think I like a cross between the pink one above this text but with out the long hair combine with the green version of the same clothing above this text, l like the hair style of that one.  I also like the texture of the pink but I will be using the bigger version.

middle_mandy2_shell

middle_mandy2_shell

I have gone back to the design and added a shell, taken off her slave and added flowers to her hair.   I have also made her hands smaller and on the image above this I have add her cloth texture, I am not yet sure about this look yet so I am going to try out other look before I make my decision.

texture-and_none4 texture-and_none3 texture-and_none7

This is old and young Mandy with the cloth pattern I have chosen for their dresses, at this stage I haven’t decided on the hair style of 20 years old Mandy and haven’t designed their shell yet, this is just a test to see is their cloth pattern suits then. I think it does so this will be their final clothing.

design_space2

24/12/2016

This is what my illustrator work area looks like at the moment.

designed_texture

These are the cloth texture I managed to design in Photoshop, after I finish designing the character in illustrator I will export it back to Photoshop to add the textures to their cloth.

example1

———————————————————-

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA—————————————————————-

70s-vintage-hippy-costume-39434-a-a 54d6c54849ec3ba1d391540500418b41 9ed1d96a985d2160f7d9496db68ce9c8

At this stage I was happy with all my pencil sketch of the character so I moved to Adobe Illustrator to do the final drawings as seen above.

At this stage I was happy with all my pencil sketch of the character so I moved to Adobe Illustrator to do the cleaner drawings as seen above. when I was finishing up 2 years old, my mum was passing by my room, she stopped and said “that a nice frog reading a book.  This upset me a little bit because this is not the first someone had mistaken my Mandy for a frog.                                                                                                                                                                                                As I was discoursing frog tortoise situation with my sister the question came up. What makes a tortoise a tortoise? Then I responded its shell. I decided to go back to the drawing board and add a shell to the character instead of making it cloth paten for the character or turning it into a bag.  I also decided that Mandy also need hair, makeup and some new cloth.

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

This is Mandy at ages 2, 20 and 102

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

Print

mandy3

mandy5

mandy6

mandy4

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

moodboard

Moodboard

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

mandy7

—————————————————————————————

character_sheet

14/11/2016 this is the profile sheep I made for my counter culture character, I made sure I got it ready before the next character design class because I find it really helpful with the design process.

I know that the brief said a human character but I did check to make sure it was ok to design a tortoise character and was told it was ok as long as it was anthropomorphized.

counter_culture_character_brife

07/11/2016 This is the brief for are 60’s counter culture character design project, when we got this we where also sent a question and answer sheet to fill to help design are character profile.