walk

October 4, 2016 in the big smoke

During the summer I spent a day going around museums to gather as much research as I could about life in Victorian London. I started at the V&A where they had a small section about the Queen, life, death, rituals, clothing, housing and work.

But the best museum to visit by far, was the British Museum, I went there at the best possible time – they had a Victorian walk. The British Museum is always my favourite place to visit when I’m researching as it’s so visual, everything is interactive and you can take as many photographs as your heart desires.

Victorian High Street

This Victorian walk was a small section that was recreated to look like a street in Victorian London. It came complete with street lamp and objects found in the street. It also had what a public lavatory looked like. The thing for me that was most interesting was the tailors shop, as Montmorency spends a huge chunk of his time visiting “Mr Lyons” to transform himself into an upper class gentleman.

Tailor Shop

Tailor Shop

The British Museum are very good at displaying history in such a way that it isn’t boring, but enrapturing. Going to a museum such as this really helps to shape your project as it allows you to enter that world for a little while and get a more personal sense on how they lived and what life looked like back then. Personally I love going to museums, because they teach you much more than just looking at a book or scouring the internet. Saying this, I did get four extremely interesting and informative books from the British museum – London transport, London sewers, the Victorian criminal and the Victorian detective. These are always more reliable than the internet, and it’s important to get information from a source that is factually correct – otherwise you’ll look a fool when you produce something that is not believable or reliable.

Victorian Travel

Victorian Travel