Religion, Belief &Faith Part 1: responding to the UAL Webpage

March 5, 2017 in Inclusive Teaching & Learning

How could you apply the resources to your own teaching practice?

Having read and  explored the information available on the http://religiousliteracy.myblog.arts.ac.uk/ page,I feel I could use the resources in my teaching practice to engage further with the Community of Practice sessions that this blog has been created alongside. This will help to no doubt, increase my awareness, creativity in designing briefs to be inclusive of themes around religion, faith and beliefs, but also to refresh my existing awareness when engaging with students. It made me think about how it would be useful to ‘bookmark’ these resources here in the event that a student chooses to engage with a design brief by answering it with references to their own faith, religious practices or beliefs – especially if those may be unfamiliar or unknown to me. These resources could help me to be mindful of appropriate approaches, whilst encouraging students to explore their ideas with integrity in answering the design brief set.

How could you integrate the research/work your students do on this subject into your teaching/professional practice?

It’s a shame the original link ‘CSM Quiet Capsule Design Project‘ was not working from the website. However, I found myself so intrigued by the title that I searched for it and found an incredibly simple yet effective project brief for an architecture project, giving a very apt example of how research on this subject can be applied to a design project, and put into context to learn creative and inclusive thinking which, affecting all. The Quiet Capsule Design project at CSM demonstrates how religion, faith and beliefs can be incorporated into teaching creative subjects and design practice perspectives. Here is the actual link: http://religiousliteracy.myblog.arts.ac.uk/quiet-capsule-design-project-csm/ . As with my answer to these questions in the ‘Gender’ blog tasks, I would  be keen to work similarly in my teaching practice by creating for example, a brief about illustrating intersectionalilty between faith and gender to raise awareness of their coexistence.

Can you cite examples?

Interestingly enough, I’m working on the preparation of some one-off workshops to be delivered to two secondary schools in which I will use a collection of religious manuscripts from the ‘Mingana Collection’ at the University of Birmingham. With the manuscripts as a source of inspiration, I will be asking the groups to collaborate (mixing the two school groups) to produce an illustrated manuscript of a story, just like any of the collection manuscripts portray. I will ask them to use illustration, typographic and design layout skills combined with their own attempts at hand lettering design to achieve the final manuscripts (two for each workshop, to take back to their own schools). The challenge and success of heir own intended outcomes will derive from their collaboration and communication skills amongst their groups. For this younger set of groups, I will guide them into formats of working so that they can utilise as much of the short amounts of production time they have together. This at higher education levels, is something that I feel would be pertinent for students and groups to work out for themselves. I think this could have an equally, if not more in depth and effective impact on students and their collaborative outputs, if delivered to a  group of students at high education. I wonder if others reading this would think it would be more difficult? That as we mature, people are more aware of boundaries, questions about faith and beliefs that are too sensitive to approach a new peer with?

Here is a link to some examples from the exquisite Mingana Collection: http://vmr.bham.ac.uk/Collections/Mingana/Persian_11/Page_35/viewer/