One Day Without Us – National Day of Action

February 16, 2017 in Inclusive Teaching & Learning in HE, Opinion and Current Affairs

onedaywithoutusposterforgrownups

www.1DayWithouUs.org

Let me ask this question: How can we promote inclusivity when we ourselves are feeling excluded ?

I’m not British. I was born in Barcelona, 43 years ago and I have been living in the UK since April 1997. . . nearly 20 years. I fell in love with the UK because many of my favourite bands were British and many exciting things were happening in this country’s Art world. I flew over to escape from a religious and patriarchal family where my dreams of become a musician and female fine artist where frowned upon. Here in the UK, away from my discouraging family I worked hard to accomplish my dreams. Along the way, I’ve meet wonderful people who have made me feel welcome and loved. This country was my adopted home, a place where I belong.

However, as many other EU Nationals and Immigrants from around the world living currently here,  I’ve been increasingly feeling alienated, unwelcome and constantly worried about my future in this country.

Imagine how it would feel to be rejected by the place you had chosen to call your home.

I think this event it’s a great idea as many of us feel the need to feel welcome and appreciated (I hope this doesn’t sound too patronising!)

I’ve been talking to some other technical staff here at Central Saint Martins and we are thinking of organising a lunch time gathering where everyone will bring something food and drink from where they are from.

I’m going to make some delicious spanish omelletes and , if they allowed me,  I will bring some Rioja!

We are millions. Let us stand together and show it.
Let’s reject the politics of division and hatred.
Let’s make tomorrow better than today.

MONDAY 20 February 2017, 1- 2pm
Location: Granary Building, Room TBC