Red Turtle Preview

November 10, 2016 in uncategorised

img_1642

After a hard week a couple of the MA Character Animation Course students found the opportunity to see a Preview of “The Red Turtle” directed by Michael Dudok de Wit and produced by Studio Ghibli.

I honestly did know little by the director and the film by this point, I had only seen the trailer at some point at the beginning of the year. This event was part of the french film festival UK.

I have to say that I was very positively surprised by the film. The entire film was animated 2D and Dudok de Wit stated that they used TV Paint as the main animation software for the 2D animation. There were of course some cheeky 3D elements in the water and the turtle character itself.

I enjoyed the sense of space during the entire film and the fact that it was a silent film, where no words were spoken. This gave the viewer the opportunity to focus on feelings and story of the film.

I liked the style of the film, it reminded me of Moebius or Tintin. It was simple, but with a very detailed line.

After the film, there was a FAQ session with Dudok de Wit, where he explained that this collaboration with studio ghibli came completely unexpected out of the blue and that this was a once in a life time opportunity to work with them.

later on, Judit and I managed to catch him before leaving and encouraged him to come to our uni to give a lecture and he seemed to be quite happy about it and told us that he might have time to do that early next year.